top of page

Foundational Healing Simplified

Remove Cellular Toxins ~ Reduce Cellular Inflammation ~ Restore Cellular Energy ~ Revitalize Cellular Health

Cellular Health & Mold Toxicity

Mold toxicity refers to the adverse effects of exposure to certain types of mold that produce toxic substances called mycotoxins which disrupt biochemical processes in the body resulting in symptoms and illness. Fungi are a diverse group of organisms that include yeasts, molds, and mushrooms. Some fungi can produce toxic chemicals called mycotoxins that can contaminate food and cause various health problems in humans and animals.

Mold is insidious and has a hidden agenda. It can disguise itself as respiratory illness, digestive dysfunction, and autoimmune disease among many other health ailments. Mold toxicity manifests itself in a multitude of symptoms and varies from person to person, which makes it difficult to diagnosis and treat. Much of the time, mold illness is overlooked and dismissed by the medical community.

Mold toxicity is primarily caused by the development of mycotoxins; toxins that enter our bodies if we breathe, eat, or absorb them through our skin. The most common sources of mycotoxin exposure are water-damaged buildings, humid environments, and foods such as nuts, seeds, grains, cheese, and coffee, which most people have encountered.


Two of the most well-known include:

  • Aflatoxins: These are potent carcinogens that can cause liver cancer and other diseases. They are produced by certain species of Aspergillus which grow on crops such as corn and peanuts.  

  • Ochratoxin A: This is a nephrotoxin that can damage the kidneys and cause kidney failure. It can also affect the immune system and the nervous system. It can grow on cereals, coffee beans, dried fruits and spices.


Why do some people get sick and not others? There is no single answer to this question as many factors contribute to mold illness vulnerability. We are all genetically different, have varying methylation patterns, and detoxification capabilities. Some studies have suggested that electromagnetic fields (EMFs) may increase the production of mycotoxins by mold and make them more aggressive and reactive. The frequency and duration of exposure matters too, which is why some people get sick and others do not. In other words,… It’s complicated. 


Mold is everywhere! Mold is typically not a problem unless the spores’ land on a wet or damp surface and begins to grow. Mold spores are microns in size, invisible and can enter our respiratory and nasal passages, embed in tissues and organs and cause illness. Additionally, eating the toxins can damage our intestine linings causing digestive disorders and impact gut health.  


Mold is a survivor and knows how to battle against our immune system. Within 3 to 6 months after exposure, if your body does not clear the toxins on its own, symptoms will begin to gradually show up. This can progress over months to years! These symptoms may include but are not limited to fatigue, chronic sinus congestion, sensitivity to bright light, shortness of breath, dizziness, rapid heart rate, dizziness, headaches, static shock, a cognitive or digestive impairment. Although there are many ways to shield ourselves from mycotoxin exposure, if you are living in a damp areas, it’s hard to avoid.  


The first step in treating mold illness is to determine the toxicity level in your body and source of contamination. In our Cellular Reboot Program, we test the levels in your body FIRST then link you to DIY mold kits to test your home. For more information about our Cellular Reboot program and Road to Health contact us today.

© 2023 Cookin' up Fitness

Virginia Beach, VA


  • New-Instagram-icon-full-size-417x400
  • email icon


bottom of page